Tuesday 30 October 2007

Cushie Life

Last week a few of us looked at Second Life. I had spent a few hours prior to this playing around and in that time I'd managed to:

  • Set up and name my avatar (Cushie Blackadder)
  • Obtain some clothes and alter my appearance
  • Find a card that enabled me to teleport off Orientation Island
  • Chat with other newbies using the texting tool
  • Move my SL self around, sit on benches, ride in a car, fly and gesture (clapping, stretching etc.)
  • Look at my avatar from various camera angles

This initial experience was frustrating but I was able to get the hang of it....mostly. By the time it came round to our get together I felt able to participate.

Once logged into SL other users who had my avatar name could find me and I them. I looked up Bronwyn, as she had left her SL name (Branwen Trevellion) in a google group message. I found her but she wasn't online yet so I waited to see what would happen. I was invited to be friends with someone called Leroy Goalpost and I dutifully said no, as I didn't know who he was (security conscious as ever!) After refusing a couple of times, Leigh posted in a google group message that I was being a bit unfriendly!! Leigh is Leroy...

So a good start there. ;)

Leigh teleported me to his location as others started to appear. (Petal Sransky (aka Sarah), Isa Goodman (aka Aaron)and Branwen). It was decided that we would teleport to Koru (a place developed by Isa for a group of Kiwi Educators). This is where the technology failed. After umpteen attempts to teleport with the group nothing happened and I was stuck on my own - and I couldn't walk around either - feeling very lonely! Sarah kept me in touch with what was happening via Skype and Leigh returned to give me a hand. Eventually the only solution was to log off from SL and start again. And from that point, no more technical glitches...for me at least.

Isa gave me tips on how to search for groups that may be of interest and I found one and joined. I've not been back in since and so have no idea if anything is happening with it! But at least I now know where to look. There were a long list of educational groups.

I also chatted with Lucy who joined us for our tour of Hallucinations. A lawyer from the US, it was interesting to chat with her as she has spent a bit more time in SL. She told me a story of how she was teleported into someone's bedroom where she was discovered by a virtual girlfriend. One huge argument later, she concluded that there are some very strange people populating SL!

The Hallucinations exhibit was navigable although I didn't always know what I was meant to do with the exhibits. However, it did give me an idea of what a hallucination could be like and at a certain point I got very anxious to turn the voices off as they were really getting to me.

What else did I do? Changed the light settings by forcing the sun to shine! Sat on a beanbag. Put on a badge.

So, I learned:

  • If things are not working as expected, log off and start again.
  • Search for SL names and groups to find people. This enables interaction with people who can share knowledge/information.
  • It takes time to learn the basics.
  • There are 'procedures' to follow so it pays to read up a bit before hand (e.g. making friends, teleporting) - see wiki tutorials.
  • Simulations may be frustrating to get around but interesting nonetheless.
  • It's useful to have someone knowledgeable around.

With only a basic understanding of how to operate in SL I am unsure how I would use this tool for anything other than talking to others. I'm not sure I could create a place like Koru or a simulation like Hallucinations and I'm not even sure that I would have to. Are there people in SL who do this for you? There are so many unknowns and as Isa has taken 18 months to get to a position of confident use I'm not sure I will get beyond the basics. But it's at least interesting to know a bit about the phenomena as no doubt future students will know about it and possibly use it.

I was thinking about how Business Studies students could develop their business ideas in SL and monitor their skills in a virtual market. Visit the virtual bank manager to ask for a virtual loan? Sounds like a good idea but is it possible? Probably. If you know what you're doing!


3 comments:

Sarah Stewart said...

This is a great summary, Yvonne which echoes my learning experiences in SL. I was fascinated to watch a segment about SL last night on the news in which the reporter was talking about pedophilia and other sex crimes that are being simulated on SL. The discussion was whether it was a crime or not. I got very excited-not because I was horrified about the 'crimes' but because I knew what SL is!!!!

Carolyn said...

Thanks for this post Yvonne. Clearly people in our group were talking and communicating with each other, however somehow I was totally unaware of that. Why is that I wonder. I obviously was not aware of how to do this although I do know about typing communication. Were people talking verbally? I hung around with the group a bit but as no-one was talking to me I got a bit bored and went off and looked at things myself. Hopefully next time I can get more involved in communicating which is what it all supposed to be about isn't it.There is no point in being there at all if you can't communicate with others.

Yvonne said...

Hi Carolyn

What is your SL name - as we didn't 'chat' I don't think I realised you were there?

The chat appeared in a box on the bottom left hand side of the screen but it disappears really quickly. So instead I opened the chat history (from one of the menus) and this opens a window that lets you keep track of what everyone is typing.

There's meant to be an option to talk using mics but we didn't manage to get to that point. Maybe next time.

Cheers
Yvonne